Lilypie Tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Kiu Nyuk Finally

We tried cooking Kiu Nyuk (pork and yam slices in thick sweet gravy) again after an earlier attempt.

Preparations began on the night of 21 March 2007 which lasted some 2 hours. The pork and yam had to be deep fried, onions and garlic had to be minced, and the gravy (flavoured with red fermented beancurd and five-spice powder) had to be prepared. The gravy was then used to marinate the pork and yam slices overnight.

On 22 March 2007, we invited some friends over for dinner and we served the Kiu Nyuk, mixed vegetables (broccoli and carrots), and chinese sausage omelette. Before serving the Kiu Nyuk, we had to steam it for over an hour. The Kiu Nyuk turned out to be "so-so only" by standards set by my paternal grandmother. The pork was still rather tough, the yam was not soft and not powdery, and there was not enough gravy. We were later informed that we should have steamed it for 2 hours at least.


[Kiu Nyuk Finally]

On the whole, it was a good effort considering the amount of effort and time that is needed in its preparation.

2 comments:

JC said...

whoa! you guys actually tried to make kiu nyuk...(salute) I never try cooking it.. only know how to eat. But from the pic, really 'chi mou chi yeong' wor.

Mom always said if we don't learn, later after she says bye bye... nobody can cook kiu nyuk anymore. The one my mom made is about the same as grandma's. Just that cuz' we dun eat fatty stuff, she add more lean meat.

The skin of the pork gotta be 'poked' before you fry and you have to buy those meat with '3 layers' (dunno what you call that part). And the Yam, you gotta make sure it's those 'powdery' type and not the hard ones (we call it 'sang fan shue' :p). What mom normally does - korek it a bit with your nail and feel the texture before buying. And of course, gotta steam it longer. Make sure got enuf gravy cuz' the yam absorb the gravy a lot.

Such hard work...

anyway.. I talk only la. I don't think I can cook it tho' seen how mom did it many times. But yea..you guys can try to improve it a bit ;)

... now feel like eating... how??!

Anonymous said...

Finally, I see someone post the same dish I like. Actually, this time I went home to Miri, Malaysia and my Uncle cook my favorite dish. And he did pass me the recipe. I think when you said Yam, you meant Taro, no?
And he did emphasis to cook it for about 3 hrs or so.
BTW, I am Hakka as well...

-kc