Lilypie Tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Encountering a Vile Virus

4 February 2010 saw us on a trip back to Ipoh for a short holiday. The original plan was to go to Pangkor Island on the 5th for an over-night stay since we really liked our previous beach holiday in Langkawi. Instead, I had a mild fever by the time we arrived. That killed any plans to go to Pangkor. Instead, with the fever under control with paracetamol, we decided on a drive to Sitiawan on 5 February 2010 with my parents for lunch, with the possibility of dropping by the beach at Teluk Batik nearby.

Lunch at Restoran Chai Chin was very nice. We ordered an interesting steamed-grouper dish laden with onions. However, the weather that afternoon was disappointing. It was raining. So, we headed back to Ipoh after lunch. No beach.

After a bath upon returning to Ipoh, I saw the cause of my fever from the bathroom mirror. I had spots all over my chest and tummy! I quickly consulted my Mom who thinks it was measles, maybe Rubella.

So, on the 6th, I saw the doctor at the Batu Gajah Hospital. Justin saw the doctor as well. He had fever because he was teething. For me, the doctor ordered a blood test to be done and from the results she suspected something viral. I was to do another blood test the next day. On the 7th, she didn't like the result of the blood test and suspected dengue. I was warded. By then, the fever had already subsided but the rash prevailed.

For the next few days, I was subjected to many blood tests and the results showed no dengue but below-normal platelet counts. Only by the 11th the platelet count increased, although slightly below normal, and I was discharged. So, it wasn't dengue but none of the tests were conducted to detect measles. So, we'll never really know what hit me...

No comments: